- Recognise your own fallibility, and trust in God’s sovereignty.
- Know that God first is merciful to you – our mercy to each other comes from God’s mercy to us.
- If you are to be more merciful, you must bridle your natural reactions to punish or administer justice when people do not measure up to what you believe they should do and treat them better than you believe they deserve to be treated.
- What is mercy?
- How does a heart become merciful?
- Should we always show mercy?
And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and his disciples. And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” But when he heard it, he said, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”
A Christ-less world is a callous world, and mercy was never a characteristic of pagan life. - William Barclay
God wants us to be merciful with ourselves. And besides, our sorrows are not our own. He takes them on himself, into his heart. - Georges Bernanos
For the only honour and dignity they know is their Lord's own mercy, to which alone they owe their very lives. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer